What a crazy world we’re living in right now, with everything shut down for the Corona virus. I hope anyone reading this is safe snd well.
The enforced stay home has given me some more tinker time, so I’ve gone back to basics with a single motor & step driver. The arduino is running grbl now, and connected to a Raspberry Pi running bCNC.
It all seems to work rather well, and has really helped my understanding of how it all fits together. Nick and Matt have been a great help, remotely of course.
The next job is to fit it all into a box to mount on the wall, move the humongous power supply and get it all connected securely. The motors, mounts, pulleys etc. also need sorting, so there’s still a lot to do!
I’ve made a new friend in the village, just a short walk away. Enter the scene Matt, who has a full on CNC setup at home and is very smart!
So with help from Matt and Nick I’m well on my way, with borrowed step controllers, Arduino, laptop and motor. The Internet is also a great source of information for this kind of thing, so I’m hoping to have something that moves very soon!
Pulleys, belts and taper locks are on order, and I have a plate marked out for mounting the motor.
Watch this space….
Here’s a little something I’ve started to do, supporting the Warwick and Solihull blood bikers. It’s an out of hours service provided to the NHS as a charity, delivering emergency blood and other products to hospitals that need them.
It’s taken a while to get qualified, certified and checked out. I also had to learn the routes between hospitals – a big ask for my useless sense of direction! But I’m cleared to go and have a couple of shifts under my belt now.
It’s nice to be able to give something back doing what I enjoy. Next time I’ll try one of the other bikes, an FJR1300! Just wish it would stop raining. 😦
Finally, after 2 years of trawling round aircraft museums, breakers yards, ebay and gumtree! I located a piston at a very unique business called Dappr Aviation. They make quality bespoke furniture and art out of old aircraft and helicopter components.
Check out their website here
They also make really cool outdoor garden pods out of slices of aircraft. They’re called Aeropods and are ideal for my secret garden, for when I’m working from home. As soon as funds allow I’ll be giving them a call.
I met with Dave who really looked after me, showing me around all the cool stuff they make. I could have spent all day there (and nearly did!). Thanks for all your help Dave, great to meet you. I’ll no doubt see you again.
Project wise this is the last original engine component I need. The rest is being made. The conrod needs boring for the main bearing and the little end bush. After that it’ll be ready to press together.
I inherited a Kayak from a friend who’s moved out to Sydney. It’s an old thing, pretty mucky but fully serviceable. In fact it’s a bit of a classic talking to other paddlers. An Eskimo Topolino (spud), seems to have a cult following.
Just a mock up for the time being, but I’ve been toying with the idea of making a sidecar for the KLR for some time. The spud would make an epic body, and I have a spare front wheel – so why not?? I do intend to use the Kayak properly, so it will need to be easily detachable for paddling.
I’ve a birthday coming up so I might ask for a hydraulic tube bender 🙂 Well it beats a cardigan!
In parallel to the electronic shenanigans for CNC, Bob has been applying the Mk.I grey matter to the problem of calculating the pressure required to force the crankshafts into the flywheels. For those of you who went to the old school, details are in the picture.
For those who didn’t, the upshot is that the hydraulic press we have is up to the job. We need 9.35 Tons to force fit the crankshaft. We tested the press to 11.2 Tons with some way to go. Always a tense moment though with the odd creak going on!!
It might not look much, but on the table is the start of getting the Bridgeport converted to CNC operation. Nick brought his new motor and encoder round, fitted to a neat housing he made. I’d picked up an ODrive and old power supply, which we coupled to a Raspberry Pi. Igor kindly donated memory card and we were on our way!
By the time the evening was out, we’d managed to get the motor to turn through a fixed angle in either direction, run continuously at a fixed rpm, and apply a holding torque. Three critical operations for CNC. A great start, although there’s no doubting we’ve still got a long way to go.
Next steps are getting some beefier motors, fitting the odrive into a better housing and upgrading the power supply.